Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hey Clyde(sdale), lose some more weight!

Riding into work today, I see that I've broken a spoke. Granted, this the first one I've broken in a long time; in fact, the first since I replaced my rear wheel with a better quality one last year. I ride carefully over bumps, especially when loaded down with all of my supplies for work.

By loaded down - I'm not small to begin with - 6'2" and 220 lbs. (Yes, I'm working on losing some weight!) The bike, loaded down with supplies - repair items such as a pump, tube and patch kit, and tools, lighting system, work materials, change of clothes for work and food - weighs over 50 lbs. So, that's a lot of stress to be putting on a rim, I know. I watch out for bumps, and get off the seat when I come to a railroad crossing... But I know a lighter load would improve things. I don't see myself reducing the amount of materials I carry on my bike anytime soon, so working on my weight should improve things.

Fortunately, Snider's is just a mile or so from my work, so I'm off to get the spoke replaced.

By the way, Clydesdale is a term cyclists use to describe someone who's larger, generally more than 200 lbs.

No comments: